Thursday, March 4, 2010

New -Product Pricing Strategies


In the textbook, there are two ways to pricing strategies a company can implement when introducing a new product. They are market-skimming pricing and market penetration pricing. Market-skimming pricing is defined as setting a high price for a new product to skim maximum revenues layer by layer from the segments willing to pay the high price; the company makes fewer but more profitable sales. Market-penetration is defined as setting a low price for a new product in order to attract a large number of buyers and a large market share.

Market-Skimming Pricing

In 2006 Sony released the Playstation 3 (PS3). The price for the 60gb model was an astronomical $699 and the 20gb model was $499. Many prospective buyers were turned off by these prices because they were very high for a gaming console and the alternatives (Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii) were much cheaper. The company issued price cuts when it introduced two models, the 80gb and 40gb, and phasing out the 60gb and 20gb. The 80gb model was priced at $499 and the 40gb was priced at $399. In 2009, Sony issued another price cut and eliminated the 40gb and 80gb models, replacing it with 120gb and 250gb models. The 120gb retailed for $299 while the $250 model retailed for $349.99. Sony also used this strategy for previous consoles, the Playstation 2 retailed for $299 at launch; Sony later cut the price to $199 and finally $99 today. The PS3 currently has the smallest share among its competition. Although this is a culmination of multiple factors, the initially high price might have turned off several prospective buyers who instead purchased cheaper alternatives such as the Nintendo Wii and Microsoft Xbox 360.

Market-Penetration Pricing

Nintendo adopted a market-penetration pricing strategy for its latest console, the Wii. The Wii was priced at $249.99 at launch, much cheaper than the 360 and PS3. This pricing strategy as well as its innovations are the main contributor to its success. It currently holds the largest market share among its competitors. Nintendo issued only one price cut so far, in 2009, lowering the price of the Wii to $199.

Jose Jacinto

Section E

4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading the article above , really explains everything in detail,the article is very interesting and effective.Thank you and good luck for the upcoming articles
    Authorized ipad service center in Chennai | Authorized ipod service center in Chennai | ipad service center in chennai | ipod service center in chennai | ipad service center in chennai | iphone Water damage service |

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice information on here, I would like to share with you all my experience trying to get a loan to expand my Clothing Business here in Malaysia. It was really hard on my business going down due to my little short time illness then when I got heal I needed a fund to set it up again for me to begin so I came across Mr Benjamin a loan consultant officer at Le_Meridian Funding Service He asked me of my business project and I told him i already owned One and i just needed loan of 200,000.00 USD he gave me form to fill and I did also he asked me of my Valid ID in few days They did the transfer and my loan was granted. I really want to appreciate there effort also try to get this to anyone looking for business loan or other financial issues to Contact Le_Meridian Funding Service On Email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com He also available on WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LE-MERIDIAN FINANCING SERVICES. the loan company that grant me loan of 5,000,000.00 USD When other loan investors has neglect my offer but Le_Meridian Funding Service grant me success loan.they are into directly in loan financing and project  in terms of investment. they provide financing solutions to companies and individuals seeking access to capital markets funds, they can helped you fund your project or expand your business.. Email Contact:::: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Also  lfdsloans@outlook.com or Write on whatsapp Number  on    1-(989-394-3740)Good Intend,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the pleasure of working closely with Mr Pedro for several years as business partners. During the time that Pedro and his loan company team served as the Mortgage Representative for my home also for my business financing and he helped me closing off loans which really helped me in my business today, we were consistently far above our goal and this can only be attributable to Mr Pedro's hard work. I appreciate your hard work and also big thanks to your team for helping me with a loan to grow my business. If you are looking for a loan of any kind, contact Mr Pedro on pedroloanss@gmail.com Mr Pedro is an honest loan officer working with a huge number of investors willing to finance any project.
    Thankfully, over time our relationship grew beyond work and I’m still happy to call him a trusted friend.

    ReplyDelete